FaceBook  Twitter

Four years after the University of Pennsylvania moved to its West Philadelphia campus in 1871, the Sigma Chi Fraternity installed its 34th chapter, Phi Phi of Pennsylvania, in 1875.

As the brotherhood grew in strength, a group of alumni stepped forward to secure the financial and residential needs of the chapter. On January 26, 1912, the Sigma Chi Club of Philadelphia, Inc. was recognized as a corporation by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and a charter was issued to its subscribers.charter sccofp inc

Among the first subscribers were five prominent Phi Phi members: Ward W. Pierson, Harold S. Schertz, Francis Burch 1907, Paul Freeman 1905 and Clarence N. Callender 1909. In 1920, this House Corporation purchased the former Drexel family home at 3809 Locust Street and today the Board of Trustees continues to manage the assets of the Phi Phi Chapter.

At Homecoming this year, we honored our past visionary leaders and toasted our 100 years of success at Penn, noted by the original Charter, which is proudly displayed in the Gilmore Library at the Chapter House. 

In this photo: Display honors the 100-year anniversary of the Sigma Chi Club Corporation and prominently shows original Charter.